The key terminology around DevOps are Continuous deployment, continuous delivery, and infrastructure as code.
• Continuous Deployment: Continuous deployment is all about continuously deploying a new version of software on test environments.
Continuous integration was focused on running the tests, and the code quality checks, and deployment takes it to the next level by adding deployment in the environment.
In more mature organizations like Google & Facebook, Continuous delivery helps in consciously deploying software to production.
In addition to running the tests, billing the software, and packaging the application app, the application is deployed to the test environment, and on getting the right approvals from the QA team, from your UAT team, The software was directly deployed into the next environments up to production.
• IAAC - AUTOMATE OPERATIONS: The next focus area was infrastructure as code.
It's all about treating your infrastructure the same way you treat your application code.
It's all about creating your infrastructure, that is the servers, load balancers, database in an automated way, using code and configuration to enhance communication.
Though it brought both the operations and development team together, and the focus areas of automation in their Ops are continuous deployment, continuous delivery, and infrastructure as code.
• Quick feedback in DevOps: Now you might be wondering how did DevOps help in getting immediate feedback? So, DevOps brings the operations and development teams closer because development and operations are part of the same team.
The entire team understands the challenges associated with operations and the challenges associated with development.
Any operational problem gets the quick attention of the developers.
Any challenge in taking software live, gets early attention of the operations team, DevOps encourages continuous delivery and infrastructure as code, because of continuous delivery if i make a code change or a configuration change, that might break a test or a staging environment, i would know it within a few hours, because of infrastructure as code.
Developers can self-provision environments, deploy code and find problems on their own without any help from the operations team.
• In summary, DevOps is all about taking software development to the next level. It's about doing things which enhance the communication between the team, which helps you to get immediate feedback on any activity that you're performing and automating as much of software development activities as possible.
Awareness of the field of DevOps is increasing :)
Where we help Development and operations team to create some excellent products.
• Any feedbacks are welcome!!